New paint; a stark contrast, illuminated.

Decided to rub down and repaint the fenders on the bike. I had never been very fond of the gray/white color scheme and with the addition of the gloss black fuel tank it started to look out of place. Plus, the white paint was beginning to look in poor condition from being stored out in the elements for years.

DA sander

Started with some 120-grit paper on the DA sander to take the old paint down to a good surface and provide a key.

rubbed back

Once rubbed back it was wiped clean. The paint is really very thick and has protected the metal well.


Gave the fenders each a couple coats of rust-protect gloss black paint and left them hanging to dry.


Between times I decided to see how the exhaust pipe would react to a bit of polish. As it turns out, really very well.


Moved the rear light to the back of the rear fender and reassembled everything. Just needs the handlebars rubbing back now and painting up (again, black).


It’s quite a difference from how the bike started out. This is a picture of it a few years back.


Next, I turned my attention to the lights. The magneto stator was meant to come with two windings, but only arrived with one. I ordered a replacement but that arrived with one winding and two wires soldered to the output. Utter nonsense.

generator stator

Bought an extension piece to the stator that turned it from a horse-shoe shape into a full hoop with a second winding to generate power for lights.


At a fast idle it creates enough energy to light the 4.5W bulb in the headlight. I might end up doing what I did not want to and fitting an LED lamp to it instead, as it is significantly more efficient and should power from the generator acceptably from idle on up.

Leave a Reply