Computer stuff and a motor assisted bicycle

I got fed up of having a mismatched set of drives and a hole in the front of my TRS-80.

neat and tidy

This prompted me to go find some software and find a way to transfer files to and from the TRS-80. Turns out running an emulator, using it to convert binary files to hex, transmitting them across serial and converting them back works well.
Also, on a plus note, have managed to get a word processor software working and printing properly. Real proportional print on the old daisy wheel printer!

snow

It snowed. This prompted good “out in the garage” type work, as it was pleasantly cool.

pile of parts

I decided to try a bit of a fun project. Bolted an engine to my bicycle. A few things needed a bit of ingenuity- the sprocket at the back is clamped to the spokes between two discs of rubber. That pushed it too far out and didn’t let the brake work (hub brake on the rear wheel).

rag joint

An afternoon of adjusting and tinkering and setting up and I got it to run.

motorized

50cc, 1.5hp.. geared to do about 20-25 tops. Decided it needed a speedometer. Ordered an old-fashioned mechanical one. Decided I did not like the face that was on it so redesigned it, in the style of 60’s BMC Smiths gauges.

gauge design

Printed out rough draft and compared to the one it came with.

faces

The gears also had no lubrication, instead relying upon the nylon being inherently slippery- that only works for a short while, so added some silicone grease to try extend the lifespan of them a little.

face

Mounted the face, decided it looked well enough. Painted up the center of the needle with silver paint.

spray paint

Finish is acceptable. Not mirror but certainly shiny.

shiny

All finished up, looking better than it did.

speedometer

Took a while to calibrate, and it’s far from accurate but it’s good enough for the job it’s doing. Also, pulled the trip reset dial off and blanked it, turning it into an odometer.

black chain guard

Painted the chain guard up, made a few adjustments to the way the chains route.

lens

Bought a light set for it, the front lens was all hazy. Polished it up so it was a lot clearer.

clear

All back together it looks a fair bit better.

lamp

All attached to the bike, adding to the look and usefulness.

lights

Next up is an engine driven generator, switchable to the wheel generator. Might add a battery in there someplace but for now it’s all AC lights.

Leave a Reply