Bearing, gaiters etc.

I recently retrieved the hub carrier from the local garage who I had employed to change the bearing.

new bearing

Looks like they’d had trouble with the old one, and they’d had to heat it up, there’s signs of bluing.


I had begun by trying to remove the old boot from the outer CV joint, as it had split.


It sure came loose easily enough but that was about as far as I could get.


The insides of the tripod looked okay, just lacking grease and feeling a little slack as a result.

bagged up

I did some research and discovered that taking the thing apart is not easy, and replacement of the CV boot requires removal of the entire driveshaft. That involves removing the gearbox end, which, on this side has a gaiter that holds all the gearbox oil in.


Cracked the gaiter off… and immediately began to catch oil.


Glad I emptied it out and put fresh because the oil needed flushing out. I had changed the oil when I got the car but a few miles on and it’s a bit twinkly.


Drained down enough and there’s the driveshaft removed, that’s the differential there.


Out and under inspection.


A bit of cardboard origami allowed a suitable catchment vessel to be employed.


Used a drift after undoing the circlip holding the differential tripod in place to remove the tripod.


Shaft all broken down as far as it was going to be.


Utilizing the unofficial paper roll holder to keep things clean.

tripod in gas

Rinsed all the old oil and dirt out of the tripod.

hot rubber

Put the kettle on and put the rubber gaiter in water to heat it up so it’d stretch.

rubber gaiter on

Managed to squeeze the gaiter over the bearing which was hard work.


Because I had the hot water on, decided to take a break with a cup of tea.


Managed to get the wide end on and all clamped down.

gearbox tripod

Managed to get the gearbox end on and clamped to the bearing. Drove the tripod back onto the splines and put the circlip back on.


Put the shaft in and got it tightened it down. Put the hub carrier on.

together more

Got the strut in after a big fight with it. Tightened it all down with the torque wrench as per the manual.


Got it all set down and tightened the axle nut up (155 lb/ft!).

filler plug

This is the access provided for the gearbox oil filler nut.

fill up

Filled the gearbox back up.


Took it for a quick drive and it’s all good on that side. Gotta do the boot on the other side next.

Leave a Reply