I decided to work on the everyday QX-747 with the intention of sorting out the VU meters. The things hadn’t ever sat on zero since I got it, and that irked me.
So, off came the front.
Was also able to clean up the insides of the front panel, there was a lot of white rubber dust from when I did the lights. With the VU meter assembly in bits, I took my soldering iron and heated the glue up. The adjustment on the hair springs identical to that on a wristwatch. Moved the adjustment levers and tried it out.. got them either on or very near to zero.
Bottom left bulb is very black inside, and quite dim as a result. Might get LED’s for it once they all burn out.