Monthly Archives: September 2015

More loudspeakers

Bulk post right now. I’d ordered some more capacitors to redo the speakers. Previously I’d been somewhat disheartened with the sound quality, and was in two minds whether to keep them or not.

One corner of one has seen some water damage, from source unknown. Put a flat edge against it and glued it back down.

ruler and glue

Mostly stuck down well, which is good. Just left the finish all kinda nasty where the lacquer and stain had come off.

moisture damage

Ordered some new Nichicon 50V bipolar capacitors to replace the (probably original) Rubycons.

caps

The sound difference was striking. At this point I decided to keep the speakers.

tidy

Tidied up and pushed the speakers into place. Bought some wire to hook the speakers up properly all around the room. Been listening to some SQ recordings, Pink Floyd seemed to use the quad for effect, listened to some Billy Joel where it was more akin to being in the studio where it was recorded, a natural surround sound.

bad cloth

I’d been avoiding the grille that got wet. The cloth was horrible and the grille had swollen and split open.

staples

Started by removing the staples. Sharpened screwdriver is a useful tool.

glue

Then, with the same tool, split the cloth from the wood by pushing the glue away.

nasty

Yup, pretty nasty. You can’t easily get to that side of the cloth when it’s fixed to the grille.

contrast

There’s a fair bit of contrast between the front and the back. Mostly just dirt.

sans cloth

Without the grille cloth the grilles look a bit odd, these don’t really suit being able to see the innards of the speakers.

shout

Took a brush and some stain remover, and put the cloth in the bathtub.

filthy

Needless to say, it was pretty filthy.

hairdryer

Dried it out a bit with the hairdryer on cool so not as to shrink it too badly.

cleaner

Quite an improvement, however the staining is still there and the stitching is faded in places.

turkey pan

Mixed up some cool water and laundry detergent in a turkey pan and left it soak overnight.

submerged

Under bright light, submerged in water, the color of the back of the cloth shows through nicely. Black and bottle green. Sadly, the cloth fell apart when it was rinsed. I’ve ordered some that looks similar but is black and tan- shall try dyeing it to achieve a bottle green and black.

broken open

The bottom rail of the grille was split off where the grille had expanded and pushed it open.

glue again

Out with the glue again.

strapped up

Got it all strapped up with elastic bungies and ratchet straps. That should stay and hold overnight until the glue sets. I can then begin sanding things down. I have sandpaper and such, new wood stain. I think I’m going to go for an oiled finish on these rather than lacquered.

Loudspeakers

With the introduction of a quadraphonic hi-fi in the living room, I required a couple more loudspeakers to make it be the requisite 4.

Took a look in the local small ads and ended up buying a set of 1968 Sansui SP-200’s. Big old beasts, a little beaten up but overall in fairly good shape.

sp200

They need completely stripping back and refinishing really- the finish is good but a bit beaten up.

steamed

The heat did make the oil haze, so that’ll need to be redone, but I did manage to steam the worst of the dents out.

Depending on how deep the finish is, it might just take a rub-down and re-oil; if not they’ll be rubbed back thoroughly and re-stained to match the cabinetry in the living room.

grille off

The drivers are ok, the grilles are a bit worse for wear- that’s going to be fun to repair- and they need a recap, which will be a fairly inexpensive venture.
Looking at it, the grille cloths will either need replacing, or at the very least, un-stapling and given a thorough clean.

inside

The interior is in good shape, which is promising, and the capacitors, although slightly odd values by today’s standards, should be easy to replace, and the switch again should be easy to clean up.

crossover board

More to follow.

Bushings, swaybar.

The car had been getting progressively more noisy over asymmetrical bumps. Last time it was up on ramps I had noted that the swaybar to frame bushings had seen better days. Ordered myself some more and they arrived in this afternoon.

New bushings

Pretty simple stuff, with some sort of odd, low friction woven stuff inside. Put the car up on ramps this evening.

old bushing

Not much of the old bushing still there. Undoing and cleaning up the bracket showed where there has been metal on metal contact for a while. Whoever decided not to have captive nuts here needs to be reprimanded, as you cannot get a wrench in on the nut.

bracket

The bushing on the passenger side was in slightly better shape, but still pretty abysmal.

rhs bushing

Decided to just drop the entire bar down.

swaybar removed

This is all that was left of the left hand side bushing. It appears gearbox oil had done a number on the rubber.

Crumbly

Cleaned up the grime. Yup, there’s been some metal-on-metal contact on the bracket’s base also.

rattle rattle

Slid the new bushings on.

new bushing

Got them all clamped back up.

all done

Needless to say the suspension feels tighter, there is a complete absence of thumps and bangs from the front end, and it’s generally more pleasant to drive. Win.