I’ve been fighting issues with the GTA for a while- the two that are persistent are the leak from the power steering and the continual habit the car has of busting up CV boots. It will split open the boot around the outer seam and redistribute all its grease all over the wheel and suspension.
I started out a few weeks ago with the original driver’s side driveshaft on the bench.
It felt slack and horrible and the boot had a hole in.
The innards were horrible. The grease was a mixture of rust and gunge that had absorbed water and been mashed up into an emulsion that had the consistency of gone-off yoghurt. It smelled similarly bad, too.
Spent a good while with gasoline and brushes and cleaned it all up nice.
While I was at it, I cleaned up and re-greased the other end.
Stuck a new boot on it. I bought a “universal fit” one from Auto Zone as it was exceptionally stretchy, designed to be opened up wide with a tool and fitted without having to remove the drive shaft. I figured that would assist in the longevity of the boot.
Fast forward to today. Lo and behold, there’s a car in there still.
First order was to remove the hub nut with the wheel on the ground, handbrake applied. It’s done up tight so a quick application of gravity, momentum and body-weight was required to undo it.
Broken CV boot. This joint was howling and you can see why. All the grease is gone and the water’s gotten in and yuck. Irritating because that’s the correct part for the car. People have told me that these cars like to destroy CV joints, and this is likely the reason why- the design of the boot is poor and over-stretches it on full lock.
My jack put up a protest as I pressed it back into service. It’s enjoyed being sat about doing nothing.
Removed the roadwheel. It was surprisingly easy to remove, having last been apart in 2016.
Removed the caliper. From here on the job turned unpleasant as everything was covered in a thick soup of grease and road grime.
Judicious application of large block of wood saw the disc removed from the hub. LEaving the wheel bolts on stops it from flying off and being damaged as it hits the floor.
Hub undone, everything off and out of the way.
Taking a breather, the car all up on a jack, finally being worked on again. Nice to see (relatively).
Reason for the wait? These evil things. Spring compressors, which grasp either side of the coil spring and compress it (adding significant potential energy to the system).
Spring wound up enough to take the pre-load off the suspension.
Strut removed from the car, allowing the hub to rotate out of the way and release the driveshaft. At this point the work got too greasy and dirty to take many pictures. I managed to knock the bearing off the inner tripod and spilled the roller pins out. Spent a little while trying to reassemble it but gave up. Exchanged the old tripod to the new shaft and went about it that way.
New boot in, on and turned to maximum. That’s the most stretch it’ll see, and I think this boot can tolerate it.
Set the car back down having tightened everything back up. Ideally I need to get under there and thoroughly clean it all out but I did not have any solvents available to remove the grease to hand. I think I’ll get some brake cleaner and give it a thorough wipe down under there. At least it’s unlikely to rust.
Other side has split in the same fashion, that’s up next but if you search back here you’ll see that’s a gearbox-drained thing to do. What fun.